I wanted to create a plant-based stew that I could cook every 7-10 days and heat up every day for lunch that had the following characteristics:
- Tasty enough I wouldn't tire of eating it
- Plant-based (no animal products)
- High Protein & High Fiber & High Omega3/6 Fats
- Low PRAL Score
- High vitamin, mineral and phytochemicals
The recipe serves 10 to 12.
- 1 bottle (750ml) of dry red wine
- 2 cans (30 oz) of Guinness Stout
- 8 Tablespoons of Chili Powder
- 3 Tablespoon Dried Oregano
- 2 Tablespoon Dried Parsley
- 2 Tablespoon Dried Thyme
- 3 Tablespoons Dried Basil
- 2 Tablespoons Sage
- ½ Tablespoon of Black Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tablespoon ground mustard seed
- 2 Tablespoon celery seed
- 5 Tablespoons of liquid smoke
- ¾ cup Olive Oil
- ¾ cup Soy Sauce
- 1 Peeled Whole Yellow Onion
- 12 Peeled Cloves of Garlic
- 2 Green Bell Peppers
- 1 Jalapeño Pepper
- 2 small Anaheim Peppers (or 1 large)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1 Bunch of Celery
- 1 Bunch of Radishes (with greens)
- 5 ounces Shiitake Mushrooms
- 6 fresh Roma tomatoes
- 1 Russet Potato
- 1 Sweet Potato
- 1 medium beet
- ¾ cup mixed barley, peas & lentils
- ¾ cup short grain brown rice
- 4.5 oz of canned sliced black olives
- 1.5 cup cooked Kidney Beans
- 1.5 cup cooked Garbanzo Beans
- 1 cup of raw Walnuts
- 1 cup of Quinoa
- ½ cup of Flaxseed
- 1 cup of Chia Seeds
- 16 ounces of cubed firm tofu (half inch cubes)
- ½ cup fortified nutritional yeast
- ½ cup frozen okra
- ½ cup frozen broccoli florets
- ½ cup frozen yellow corn kernels
- ½ cup frozen shelled edamame
- ½ cup frozen peas
- Add Base Ingredients to 12-quart pot &bring to a boil for 1 minute then stir & turn off heat.
- Purée onions, jalapeños, Anaheim peppers, garlic, radish greens, half the celery, & half the green peppers with olive oil & soy sauce in blender.
- Chop celery, green bell pepper, beets, carrots, radishes, potatoes and mushrooms. Chop should be approximately ½ inch thick.
- Add Stew ingredients to pot. Bring to low boil for 2 hours stirring every 10 to 15 minutes.
- Add Proteins to pot and cook for 30 minutes.
- Add Garnish Ingredients to pot and cook for 15 minutes.
- Serve hot or store in refrigerator containers.
- Reheat for 15 minutes on low heat when refrigerated.
- 30g diverse protein
- 60% RDI or higher all essential Amino Acids
- PRAL Score: -4.9 (Alkaline)
- 32 Vitamins & Minerals with more than 30% RDI
- 108% RDI of Fiber
- Diverse Phytonutrients
900% RDI of Omega-3 & Omega-6 fatty acids