Growing up in Alabama, I love cornbread. In this recipe, I aim to make a delicious cornbread that increases the amount of protein and removes animal products (and cholesterol and other bi-products.) The nutritional yeast adds texture and a cheesy flavor in addition to ramping up the protein.
- 1 Cup All-purpose flour
- 1 Cup Corn Meal
- ¾ cup nutritional yeast
- 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 tablespoon of ground black pepper
- 1.25 cup of unsweetened/unflavored Soy milk
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped Anaheim peppers (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Grease 9 to 10 inch cast-iron pan/skillet.
- Mix dry ingredients into bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients until well blended.
- Pour batter into cast-iron pan.
- Crack black pepper on top (optional)
- Bake for 25 minutes or until passes “toothpick test”.
- Let rest for 5 to 10 minutes before cutting or removing from pan.
- This is vegan (dairy & animal free) but not gluten-free.
- Do not cover the cast-iron when cooking.
- For sweeter cornbread, reduce cornmeal amount by ¼ cup and increase sugar to that amount.
- 8-inch baking pan will work if cast-iron not available (but will not deliver bottom crust.)